The AGBU Asbeds, one of the numerous committees working under the umbrella of the Armenien General Benevolent Union in Southern California, organizes programs to help our community to get closer to our history, our values, our culture, as well as our motherland. According to the Asbeds chairman Kurken Berksanlar the third annual AGBU Asbeds Scholarship Essay Competition, is being held once again, and all students of the senior graduating class of AGBU's Mannoogian-Demirdjian School in Canoga Park and Vatche and Tamar Manoukian Schooi in Pasadena are eligible to participate.
Last year's topic for the essay competition was "AGBU", and its impact in the student's life, each school was allotted 500 dollars as a scholarship money for their winning candidates. This year's topic is "My Armenia" and in order to encourage the graduating class students to take part in it, the Asbeds have generously doubled the award fund to 1,000 dollars for each school. Furthermore, to explain the purpose behind this year's topic "My Armenia'', chairman Mr. Berksanlar says that, "Asbed's wish is to hear from the students directly how he or she was able to get connected with the homeland and how the trip to Armenia has impacted their lives, their way of thinking, as well as their identity and their disappointments while they were there". Our goal is to see how the trip has served not only as a sightseeing trip, but as an inspirational journey and experience for those students who take part in AGBU school student's yearly pilgrimage towards motherland."
The qualifications for the 2010 Scholarship Essay Competition are:
- Composition Topic: "My Armenia"- expressing the personal impressions, the graduating class students had during their school trip to Armenia, as well as their hopes, disappointments, and their vision for tomorrow's Armenia.
- Language: Armenian or English (student's choice)
- Deadline: May 15.2010
- Length: 700-1000 words. Note: The participant’s name will be concealed and will only be identified by a number and their school name, while ail the entry papers are being evaluated.
- Eligibility to participate: To be a graduating senior student in AGBU Canoga Park MDS or Pasadena VTM high school.
- Scholarship details: $250.00 per student. With a total budget of $2,000 eight students will be chosen from both schools combined.
Announcement of the winning papers: The Asbeds will inform the school administration the corresponding numbers of the winning papers by June 4, 2010, and will be publicly announced in the commencement booklet of each school at the respective graduation ceremonies.