On September 30, 2011, the Armenian community in Toronto enjoyed a fascinating lecture at AGBU’s Alex Manoogian Cultural Centre entitled “Around the World in 1,001 Words.” The presentation, given by author and editor Jirair Tutunjian, covered the origins and derivations of Armenian and English words. Over 150 people attended the event.
Tutunjian began his talk by giving the audience a brief lesson on the rules of transliteration and why words change their spelling and pronunciation over time. He also spoke about the Indo-European language group and its major division into East and West — Armenian being part of the east branch, together with Iranian, Beluchi, and Sanskrit in India.
The lecturer proceeded to provide a history of how and why languages borrow from one another. Using humorous anecdotes, he illustrated how Iranian and Arabic words have infiltrated the Armenian and English languages, and how the English language has adopted certain Armenian words in their everyday lexicon. Using a sampling of over 40 Indo-European and Sanskrit words, which are very similar to Armenian and English, he unraveled the fascinating connections of how words have changed shape and meaning over the centuries. Tutunjian has been invited to give similar lectures at AGBU in Montreal and elsewhere.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Eduard Sharmazanov: It is time for Azerbaijan to awaken
- Serzh Sargsyan meets with the Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin
- Serzh Sargsyan receives Mayor of Paris
- NA deputies pay tribute to the memory of victims of October 27, 1999
- Richard Kirakosian: Armenia did its best in normalization of Armenian-Turkish relations
- Eduard Sharmazanov says victims of Oct 27, 1999 see from above that Armenia has chosen a right path to move forward
- Armenia receives official request of quake aid from Turkey
- Montreal Mayor visits Tsitsernakaberd
- Artak Zakaryan: Rumors spread about coalition are artificial
- News about resignation of Yerevan Mayor confirmed
- Karen Karapetyan says he is leaving the office, but not the President’s team
- Arman Melikyan about preliminary refusal of Turkey: Playing theater was not right
- Exhibition of Armenian artists in Germany
- Concert of world famous violinist Pinchas Zukerman in Yerevan
- Sanahin complex in focus of the state
- 31st general assembly of Association of Francophone Mayors launches in Yerevan
- Yerevan and Paris Mayors sign agreement on friendship and cooperation
Click here to download the PDF (58KB) of the latest AGBU Armenia News Bulletin.
On Saturday, October 1, the Permanent Representative of the Republic of Nagorno Karabakh, Robert Avetisyan, attended the YP Northern California’s “Armenian-style” BBQ at Coyote Point Park last. Fourty-five people attended the social gathering in the Bay Area.
The following is excerpted from the Armenian Reporter‘s extensive article on the Walk of Life walkathon [emphasis ours]:
LOS ANGELES - For the first time in its history, the Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry (ABMDR) held a Walk of Life event in Fresno, California on October 15, in addition to its annual walkathon in Los Angeles on October 22. The Walks were attended by large numbers of supporters from throughout the Armenian community as well as several elected officials. Both events received extensive media coverage.
Walk of Life 2011 kicked off on the morning of October 15 at Fresno’s Eaton Plaza Amphitheater, as teams of supporters from various local organizations gathered to take part in the event. The teams represented the AGBU Fresno Chapter (led by chairperson Zaroohi Der Mugrdechian), the ANC of Fresno (led by chairperson Hygo Ohanessian), the ARS Fresno Mayr Chapter (led by chairperson Angele Ohanessian), the AYF Fresno Kevork Chavoush Chapter (led by chairperson Rita Costanian), and the Fresno State Armenian Students Association (led by Vartush Mesropyan).
IN THIS ISSUE
- John Heffern: “The US Administration attaches importance to the development of cooperation with Armenia”
- Analyst: The possibility of progress over the Nagorno Karabakh issue may be registered only in case Azerbaijan stops its rhetoric
- Armenian President receives US Deputy Secretary of State
- William Burns: NK issue does not have a military solution
- Paruyr Hayrikyan suspends the activity of his party and backs RPA
- Tigran Sargsyan and Vladimir Putin meet
- “Hilton” hotel chain interested in Yerevan
- Harut Sassounian: 96 Years Later, Turkey Still Pays A Price for Genocide Denial By Harut Sassounian, Publisher, The California Courier
- Armenia’s National Archives starts negotiations with secret archives of Venice
- Armenia awarded with “The Best Actors Staff” prize in Sochi
- Serzh Sargsyan meets philanthropists assisting construction of the newly built complex of the Armenian Apostolic Church
- Joelle Le Morzellec: Armenia’s biodiversity can be profitable
- Armenia ranked 46 in a new ranking list of national teams of FIFA
Click here to download the PDF (54KB) of the latest AGBU Armenia News Bulletin.