• Construction site circa 1932 while building the AGBU-funded town of Nubarashen, named after AGBU Founder Boghos Nubar.

  • The façade of the AGBU Marie Nubar Eye Clinic in Yerevan.

  • Global AGBU delegates visit Nubarashen, a suburb of Yerevan built in the 1930’s by AGBU, during the organization’s Centennial Closing Ceremony and Conference in April 2007.

  • An image from the construction of the Holy Trinity Church, which was funded by former AGBU President Louise Manoogian Simone and AGBU, in Yerevan circa 1990's.

  • Local children pose for a group photo circa 1930’s in the AGBU-funded town of Nubarashen, named after AGBU Founder Boghos Nubar.

  • Talented youth from the AGBU Children’s Centers in Armenia creating works of art.

  • Former AGBU President Louise Manoogian Simone witnesses the destruction and death caused by the horrific earthquake that shook Armenia on December 7, 1988.

  • Art students from the AGBU Children’s Centers in Armenia pose with their creations.

AGBU in Armenia

A Timeline

Since our founding, AGBU’s goal has been to support the people of Armenia and help our homeland realize its potential as a viable and prosperous nation. AGBU has always remained committed to Armenia in pursuit of the higher national interest, irrespective of the internal politics of the country.

I. AGBU First Assistance to Armenia

In 1907, immediately following its inception, AGBU began providing food and seeds to families in famine-stricken Yerevan.

II. AGBU in Soviet Armenia

1920-30s

According to the order of 1923, signed by As. Mravyan and Ar. Yerznkyan, the education and agriculture officials of Armenia at the time, AGBU became the only benevolent organization allowed to function in the Soviet Armenia. Over the next 14 years, AGBU provided for the common good – h building infrastructure, contributing to rural development and offering education and care to orphans transported from abroad and living outside of Yerevan.

1920s

Agricultural machines, seeds and other assistance sent to Soviet Armenia.

1923-36

Approximately 17,000 migrants return to Armenia from Bulgaria, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel (under The British Mandate of Palestine), Lebanon, Syria (The French Mandate), Turkey and other countries through AGBU’s efforts to repatriate survivors of the Armenian Genocide.

1924

Transfer of 250 orphans from AGBU orphanages abroad to Armenia.

1925

Establishment of “New Yedovkia” village for the resettlement of repatriated Armenians.

1926

Assistance to the reconstruction of Shirak region earthquake zone.

1929

Establishment of Mary Noubar Eye Clinic and “Darouhi Hakobian” Pregnancy and Pediatric Care Center to advance public health and improve the quality of life.

Since 1930

Assistance to the Yerevan State University from the Melkonian Fund, providing modern equipment  supporting scientific research and publishing works on Armenian studies.

1936

Completion in Yerevan of a modern residential building, which became home to the Armenian Intelligentsia.

1937

$1 million fundraised to establish the Nubarashen re-settlement village, which welcomed 1,000 repatriated Armenians.

1937

Opening of the Matenadaran library and publishing house constructed by AGBU.

1944

$105,000 worth of medicine and clothing sent to Armenia from abroad.

1946

51,060 Armenians repatriated from Bulgaria, Greece, Iran, Lebanon, Romania and Syria, made possible with$1,073,810 raised by AGBU.

1944-48

AGBU fundraised over $2 million for the general purpose of assisting immigration and supporting postwar Armenia.

1950-88

AGBU assistance to Armenia through the church.

1983

Opening of Alex Manoogian Museum in Holy See of St. Etchmiadzin (Gantzatun).

Earthquake of 1988

After an earthquake shattered Armenia’s Shirak (Gyumri Spitake) region, AGBU took immediate action, overseeing critical emergency relief efforts that saved tens of thousands of lives. Within three days of the natural disaster, AGBU began distribution of clothing, food, medicine and other necessary provisions to Armenia. Soon after AGBU also began addressing the critical needs of earthquake victims, facilitating medical treatments in the U.S. and sending international doctors and specialists to Armenia. By the end of 1991, AGBU had raised over $10 million to support the needs of earthquake victims.

Independent Armenia (1991-Present)

Following the inception of the Republic, when the state was in its formative years, AGBU expanded on its humanitarian efforts, building national cultural and educational institutions that introduced new opportunities, cultivated local talents and created young leaders. These include programs focusing on culture, education, healthcare/social assistance and religion. During uncertain times, as the government was first formed, they were a source of hope and encouragement to the people of Armenia. Today, they continue to stand strong.

Educational

  • Stepanakert School #7 – Opening took place on January 16, 2006, and hundreds of students have since enrolled.
  • Gyumri School #7 – Complete reconstruction and renovation.
  • Lord Byron School in Gyumri – Renovation, ongoing care, construction of boiler-house and a playground.
  • Gyumri School #3 for handicapped children – Renovation and continuous care.
  • Irind village school – Complete furnishing.
  • Significant support provided to the American University of Armenia and Yerevan State University (since 1930).
  • Continuous assistance to the Meghri kindergarten.
  • AGBU  Childrens Centers located in the Yerevan suburbs of Nork, Arapkir and Malatya, in the city of Vanadzor, and at the Holy Etchmiadzin provide supplemental after-school instruction in studio and performing arts as well as gymnastics, religious studies and computers.
  • Support provided for the French University of Armenia.
  • Pemiamin Jamgotchian School in Armenia. as gymnastics, religious studies and computers.


Culture

  • Gyumri Art Academy – In 1997, AGBU renovated the old facility, which had been completely destroyed during the 1988 earthquake, establishing the Gyumri Art Academy. The building now includes the Gyumri branches of the Art Academy, the Institute of Cinema and Theater, and the Conservatory. Since 1997, enrollment has increased from nine students to over 150.  In 2005 AGBU constructed new studios in the academy roof for the student-painters.


Religion

AGBU donors have contributed largely to the construction of countless churches and religious institutions in partnership with the Holy See of Etchmiadzin. For a complete list, click here.

  • Alex Manoogian Gandzatun (Holy Etchmiadzin Museum) (1983)
  • St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral
  • Holy Trinity Church in Yerevan
  • St. Hakob Church in Gyumri
  • St. Gregory of Narek Church in Vanadzor
  • St. Sarkis Church of Nor Nork
  • Arapkir Church in Yerevan
  • Holy Etchmiadzin Elderly Home
  • Vaskenian Theological Seminary on Lake Sevan
  • Administrative Building of Holy Etchmiadzin
  • Holy Etchmiadzin Clergy Housing
  • Holy Etchmiadzin Library/Repository (Matenadaran)
  • Restoration of the Holy Etchmiadzin Old Veharan
  • His Holiness Karekin I Education Center
  • St. Anna Church in Yerevan
  • Candle lighting hall and Catholicoi Museum (groundbreaking 2012)

 

Healthcare/Social Assistance

AGBU has made substantial contributions in the fields of public health and medicine, providing medical equipment and training to medical personnel and establishing well-equipped modern diagnostic facilities. AGBU partnered with the Holy See of Etchmiadzin to fund the renovation and expansion of its many health and social service centers and institutions, including refurbishing the old “Pioneer Palaces” and replacing them by educational centers for children where specialized teachers and artists could provide daily after school classes in creative and performing arts. Other significant projects include:

  • Establishment & managing of Hye Geen Pregnant Women’s Centers in Vanadzor, Talin and Yeghvart
  • Senior Dining Centers (Soup Kitchens) in Nork, Malatya and Arapkir suburbs of Yerevan, in the city of Vanadzor and at the Holy Etchmiadzin.
  • AGBU Ultrasound Center
  • Renovation of the Vanadzor orphanage
  • Renovation of Vanadzor clinic #4
  • Providing cows and flour to the needy families of Amasya region
  • Construction of St. Nersess Hospital

In recent years, AGBU has also invested in various projects in the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, providing vital support to create schools and residences. AGBU continues to provide assistance to the Karabakh Chamber Orchestra and partners with the New Education Strategy, which brings cutting-edge technology to classrooms and disadvantaged students throughout the region.

For more information on our work in Armenia, please visit Visit the AGBU Armenia website.

More

x